Donnerstag, 27. November 2014

Recipe: Veggie Stew with Pearl Barley


I bought this cook book "Vegan for Lazies" when I was on vacation this fall, so I wanted to show you the first recipe I tried out:


Winter is just around the corner, so I opted for an easy veggie stew with pearl barley and smoked tofu.

 You need:
  • 650 ml water (about 2 3/4 cups)
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • salt 
  • balsamic vinegar
  • 80 g pearl barley (1/2 to 1/3 cup)
  • 1 leek
  • 100 g smoked tofu (or any kind you like)
  • 300 g frozen vegetables (I chose a broccoli- cauliflower-carrot mix)
  • 1 teaspoon hot mustard
  • 3 tablespoons chives
  • any seasonings and herbs you like

Cook the water.
Press one of the garlic cloves and add to water.
Season with salt and balsamic vinegar (I added a little vegetable stock powder, because I thought there isn't enough flavor to it).
Add pearl barley, cover and let it simmer for about 15 minutes on low temperature.
Clean and cut leek into thin rings and dice tofu.
Add to pearl barley along with frozen veggies.
Bring to a boil again, cover, and let it simmer for another 10 minutes.
In between, add the other pressed garlic clove.
Add mustard, chives, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, and any other seasonings to your taste.


 And there it is! I gotta admit, it isn't the best looking meal I've ever cooked (that's why I added this sparkling effect thingy to the picture), but it was really tasty and I'm definitely gonna make this again during the colder months.
What's your favorite winter meal?

xx Nina

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen